Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Slow Clap

I cannot stop watching this video or singing this song in my head. The video might not make sense if you don't know Hebrew (or if you do know Hebrew, actually), but it's a satire on hasbara (the Israeli government's "PR" around the world). What I like about it is that it's vague enough that half the people don't get that it's a joke. That is my favorite type of video.


The video comes from Eretz Nehederet ("Our Great Country"), a fake news show in Israel--like the Daily show, but much darker. I don't know how I haven't mentioned this before, but one of their recurring sketches is called May's Blog. The character May is a blond, bitchy, and rich Israeli teenager who forces her friend to be bulimic. Naturally.

6 comments:

  1. I just spent the past hour watching these clips instead of working on my late report!

    Give me a pa! Give me tet! What does that spell? Pat-tet.

    But actually, the "May blog" clips are kind of sad. Poor Yuri is so insistent on being an Israeli...and then the Israelis are trying to be cool by being American. It's...my thesis. If only my assignment were to write a sketch like this in Hebrew to make my point. Actually, not really. (And now, back to Israel and Syria)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I can't seem to edit my comments. I meant to write pa-tet. Which just proves my point even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the hasbara video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "you ask for a croissant, but then..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam: I, too, love the hasbara video! My favorite is when they say "When you ask 'what do we want?' We say .... um...." and they they start dancing.

    Alina: May's blog is incredibly sad. It's so pcchhhhh.

    Adam Pirtle: Did you see when I compared your dancing to Mick Jagger's? This is important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first video is cracked me up! I may have to spread it 'round the internets. The second video wouldn't play because my computer has decided to hate on youtube for a bit.

    ReplyDelete