Monday, May 4, 2009

I ROBOT

My last two journeys to Northern Israel were rudely interrupted by "suspicious objects." In Israel, whenever someone leaves a bag lying around anywhere (bag = suspicious object), the police takes it and BLOWS IT UP USING A ROBOT. A robot! Everyone has to stand really far away while the kewl robot blows up the object, and then you go about your business, while all day you imagine ways to decorate the robot and befriend it.

I think this robot is really cool. Here's a short video of the robot walking around, waiting to blow some shit up:



The other day, after I was stuck in traffic due to robot happenings, I saw the robot go into its police car post-suspicious-object check. It was rolling around into the car, Wall-E style! I think this robot will one day take over the world.

Recently, I went into a bus station, and everyone was standing outside the station, and there was all this police around. I start freaking out and hide behind a tree (?) because I'm scared. Turned out it was just a suspicious object. I love how Israelis are always just standing around nonchalantly when these things happen, while I'm hyperventilating, running around in circles (seriously), and hiding behind trees.

Here is a video of Israelis standing around all cool, watching the robot:

I act most like the girl with the scarf who's blocking her ears.

My last and most important point (it's always important to save your coolest point for last) is that there is a very funny PSA on youtube about suspicious objects (a SO is called a chefetz chashud in Hebrew). The best part is the last two seconds, when the girl's 40-year-old cigarette smoker's voice is revealed. The second best part is when suspicious objects are shown while cheesy sitcom music plays. Here it is in all its glory:


I have nothing else to say.

Smell you later.

1 comment:

  1. it's important to note, that although this video LOOKS like it was made in the 1970s, it was probably filmed in the 1980s. This is because in Israel, the seventies happened a decade late.

    ReplyDelete