Thursday, January 29, 2009

May Favorite Blogs

Note: I want to change the URL/title of this blog due to sheer Googleability. I haven't been writing about so many things because of Google. I'll figure it out and let you readers know if I decide to change it.

In other news, I just read a fabulous article about Chadash Party in this Orthodox lefty college professor's blog (whaaa??). He said Meretz "exists as a club for some Tel-Aviv secularists and some kibbutznikim who became dinosaurs long ago." (This is, embarrassingly enough, a dead-on description of me, especially when I'm in velociraptor mode--i.e. making hand-claws in photographs).

Guess what? That quote was a lead-in for me to talk about my favorite Israel blogs! Even before I moved to this here country, I was on the lookout for lefty Israeli blogs in English to make me feel better when times are rough (i.e. when I'm not in my happy Tel-Aviv bubble). At first, I found jack shit, but little by little I have accumulated some interwebs treasures.

1. www.falsedichotomies.com: This blog always manages to provide me with insightful political commentary. It's more of a center-left blog, but breaks down arguments logically and in great detail. I wish I could write like that about politics, but I tend to just cover up political talk with pictures of unicorns and puppehs. This was the first lefty blog I found and it makes me happy, damn it.

2. olahadasha.typepad.com: Leila's blog is, well, way more than a blog. It is book material. It's filled with detailed sensory impressions of Israel from "the other side," which means usually incorporating a Palestinian/Palestinian-Israeli perspective, and of course Leila's perspective being an "ola chadasha." She actually lives in London most of the time, though, I think. This woman is passionate about minority voices in Israel. Her blog is heartbreaking most of the time but it's the kind of stuff you just need to read. Again, the kind of stuff I wish I could write, if only I could stare the truth in the face.

Also, thank you Leila for telling me about that protest even though I got lost on the way and ended up signing a five-year-old's petition to build a preschool in his neighborhood. Sigh.

3. nizos.blogspot.com: This blog belongs to a hilarious Palestinian guy who lives in Montreal. I am obsessed. His posts include topics like running off to have sex with some Norweigan guy instead of attending the Gaza protest, and he also posts beautiful pictures of his stamp collection. I love super-crude humor and people who make light of everything while remaining intelligent. It's hard to find this tone in Middle Eastern blogs, but Nizo nails it.

4. themagneszionist.blogspot.com: I just discovered this blog today, and it is the blog I quoted in the beginning of this post. It's another strong, unabashed lefty voice. I need to find out more about the Orthodox left. It is a mysterious part of Israeli society to me.

Hope you visit these favorites. If you can think of other blogs that should be mentioned, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Dude! I read that article on the Magnes Zionist earlier this week, I liked it too.

    Sounds like you're very active!

    I hope Sarah and I can come visit you someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come visit me, and enjoy the view from an airport questioning room for 12 hours. Shablam! You will be touched in new ways by the State of Israel.

    But seriously, I would love it so much if you and Sarah came here. I miss you guys so much! And Sarah in Israel would be the funniest thing ever. I imagine it all the time.

    And I haven't actually been too active, unless yelling at people and getting into awkward political conversations all the time for no reason counts as active. I don't know why I keep starting shit with people.

    I keep hearing about all these cool events, but I have no one to go with so I don't go. I will get on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi May - thanks for saying such nice things about my blog - it means a lot to me when people read and feel it.

    I'm really sorry we couldn't meet while I was out there, but hope to meet you when I get back. Wondering how you're getting on...

    Leila

    ReplyDelete