Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Hebrew joke book (yes, it's come to this)

Hello. I am M.F. This is my new blog. In two and a half weeks, I am moving to Tel-Aviv. Some would say I am "making aliyah." Which only makes me hum "Tell Me You're That Somebody" in my head. Especially the digitized baby/cat noises. Why did you have to die, Aaliyah?!

I've been very nervous about my impending move, so I have come up with some strategies to make my first few months in Israel more comforting. A few days ago, I came up with phase one of the strategy, which involves: drinking, going to the beach, smoking nargila, lots of therapy, and buying both seasons of 30 Rock on DVD to watch over and over.

Yesterday, I came up with phase two of the strategy, which is to watch lots of Israeli TV so that I can have cultural references to bring up in conversation. It is always awkward when I talk to Israeli people because they understand none of my jokes. I should probably also start listening to Israeli music, and other types of bad music, so I can fit in. Eurotrash city, here I come!

My BFF Sarah suggested that I buy a Hebrew jokes book and memorize assorted jokes to make Israeli people laugh. This might also become part of the strategy. I might also start memorizing IDF abbreviations so I can pretend to know what everyone is talking about when they talk about being in the army.

See? I have so many great ideas on how to make my new, Bauhaus-filled surroundings less awkward. Isn't moving to Israel great?

Shablam for now,

M.

PS: A baby just spit up on me. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment